My weekly trip to the grocerey store always consitst of fresh produce, eggs (about 18-30...I know its a lot, you'll see why), bread, and milk. For the love! Milk is not cheap these days! $4.99 at Kroger for Organic Milk (one Gallon) on special! I have no idea how steep the full price is. Sigh.
Anyhoo- I buy a lot of eggs because I hard boil at least a dozen of them a week. I use them as extra protein in Avery's school lunches (just a pealed hard bolied egg) or for both girls at breakfast or lunch as an extra something as well as for Egg Salad Sandwiches or for egg in my salads.
Eggs are very good for you but do have colesterol. Egg whites are a great option too.
To make things easier and more accessible I do a weekly prep of my fresh items...besides bread and milk. I wash all my fruits and veggies and place them in reusable containers. PLEASE wash your fruits and veggies. I had a bout with E-Coli from unwashed produce (sick sick from that, lots of meds) and I found a dead bumble bee in my raspberries when I was washing them. How horrible would that have been to serve my kids a bee! I hard boil my eggs too (I leave the shell on them but you can peal them if you like) and place those in a reusable container as well. This really helps me get lunches and breakfast made faster and gets us out the door on time in the morning. Let's face it, I want to sleep to the last possible second in the morning so if I can prep ahead of time I will!
Boling my eggs takes about 10-12 min
Then I set them out on a towel or paper towles to dry before packing them away.
TIP: place eggs in the pot first then add enough water to cover the eggs then boil
CLEAN your fruits and veggies ladies!!!
Especially the ones that grow on the ground: Berries, cantelope, watermelon, cucumbers, carrots, squash, apples, ANYTHING!!!
TIP: Hydrogen Peroxid mixed with water is a great veggie and fruit cleaner. Kep it in a spray bottle under your sink, mist and rence. (Thanks to my mother0-in-law for that tip!)
Here is an example of my finished prep work.
Not only do I wash the produce, I go ahead and cut it up to make it even more accessible...
Obviously Avery thinks its accessbile! Yummy!
2 comments:
Oh these were helpful ideas. I never know what to eat for breakfast and lunch. Those are the hardest meals. I also noticed you buy organic and I'm betting you have an insane monthly grocery bill as I do. I am trying to find ways to cut that down, i'm not a good couponer. You'll have to email me on that one so I can ask you questions!!
Sure will, Ive got more recipes and lunch ideas coming in posts. I'll email you some of my grocery tips...yes our bill is high :/
Post a Comment