Saturday, May 12, 2012

Breakfast Casserole

I cannot take credit for this recipe.  My mom gave it to me the first year I got married (but she had been cooking it as far back as I could remember).  I've come a LONG way since I first tried to make this casserole.  I had NO IDEA you have to cook ANY meats in any casserole FIRST before you bake the casserole. :/ yep.  It turned out horrid!  So, first things first.  Follow the recipe and make sure to brown your sausage!  If I can make this you can too.

This is my version of my mom's recipe:

Preheat oven to 350

1 lb Sausage (I like the Owens or Jimmy Dean Brands best, even like the HOT version) BROWNED!!!
6 eggs (beaten)
1 package of shredded cheese (half package to mix and the other half for a topping)
8 to 12 slices of day old bread (torn into pieces)
1c Milk (any kind)
pinch of Salt (I never ad this but you may want too)

Casserole dish 350 degrees for 35-45 min
Muffin option 350 degrees for 15 min

 Ingredients

 BROWN the sausage!! (chop it up as you go)

 This pic is kinda self-explanatory

 In same bowl as bread add cheese and milk

 Same bowl again, add beaten eggs

 Yep, that same bowl...add your BROWNED sausage

 Ok, here is where I tried something new.  You can put mixture in a 9x13 casserole dish OR I made them into Breakfast Casserole Muffins!  (turned out great).  My tips for the muffin option is to use those paper muffin cups/sleeves (which I did not and should have) and notice one of my muffin slots is missing mix??  Add a little water so the muffins cook evenly even though the pan is not full. Bake for 15min at 350 degrees.


This picture looks a lot like the above, BUT the muffins are done!  Yummy!

No comments: