I received this cook book as a gift from my mother-in-law (who is an amazing cook!!) for CHRISTmas this past year. I immediately felt like I CAN COOK THIS ALL as I flipped through the pages of Ree Drummond's cook book. Not only is it full of yummy fare that I grew up eating and seasoned accordingly, it is EASY to cook the recipes and like I said before, if I can cook it you can too. So, I challenged myself to cook my way through the cook book. I have not taken pictures of all my dishes and I have altered the recipe to fit my family (portion sizes are large...we are a family of two adults and two tots...) and our tastes. If you ever get to see Ree Drummond on TV you will love her. She is a normal and easy going mom who isn't a professional cook, but a passionate cook. Something that inspires me and hopefully you too. Not only are there recipes, there are cute pictures of her family, pets, and her ranch. I hope you pick up a copy of this cook book and get to cookin'!
I have cooked 95% of my way through her cook book and have loved every recipe. Today I am going to share her recipe for Pot Roast. I will post my own pictures from my experience with her recipe as well as link below her recipe from her blog as well as a like to her cook book on amazon.com. She does have other cook books available. I have yet to purchase one for myself...but plan too!
Her Blog: http://thepioneerwoman.com/
Her recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/2008_the_year_of_the_pot_roast/
Her Cook Book (that I own and used for my Pot Roast): http://www.amazon.com/The-Pioneer-Woman-Cooks-Accidental/dp/0061658197/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337795132&sr=8-1
Her Show on Food Network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/the-pioneer-woman/index.html
Pot Roast (cooked by me), Ree Drummond's Recipe
from "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" page 120-122
Ingredients:
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt (I used a pepper/salt beef rub that I had in my pantry)
One 3-5 lb chuck roast
2 onions (I only used one)
6 to 8 carrots (I used a hand full of baby carrots)
Pepper
2 to 2 1/2 cups beef broth *(I didn't have nay so I used beef bullion cubes, see pic below)
3 or 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 or 3 fresh thyme sprigs
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F
Her book, the one I used and the recipe is in :)
My chopped onion and other ingredients (so simple yet so yummy!)
In a really HOT Dutch Oven I heated the olive oil and then seared the onion first, removed and set aside then seared the carrots (one almost burnt-oops!), remove carrots as well and set aside with onion like in my picture
I peppered/salted my beef and then... In the same HOT Dutch Oven I seared my roast one both sides (see above and below picture). You want the same cook pot so that the flavorful bits are all mixed together
Not Pictured...After you sear the meat, remove it and add some beef broth and whisk the flavorful bits off the bottom of the Dutch Oven (as fast as possible...its HOT and the bits can burn)
Return meat to Dutch Oven and add the veggies and herbs as well as the rest of your beef broth. Cover and put into oven for 3 to 5 hours.
DONE!
Ree pairs her pot roast with her delicious mashed potatoes.
I too make mashed potatoes since they are not in the pot roast recipe itself. I will post another day my recipe for mashed potatoes. Similar to Ree's recipe, but smaller portion and very very basic.
*Tip picture for not having beef broth:
I used 4 bullion cubes in 4 cups of HOT water...let the cubes dissolve and you have beef broth!
No comments:
Post a Comment