Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Healthy Eating in a Toddler Filled and Crazy Life...Possible?

Oh if only I could eat junk all the time and it like me back the way I like it!  If I did eat junk I would be sick and completely incapable of caring for my little ladies.  Heck, I might not even get out of bed.  Maybe this is what is wrong with America...maybe.  But that's a soap box for another day.  Today I am going to share a few of my favorite snacks and a typical day's meals for the girls and I.  I hope it helps at least give you some new ideas and maybe inspire you to try new things. 

I truly believe in the phrase "you are what you eat".  There was a comerical for a kid's protein drink (I think) that had kids playing soccer and one was shaped like a doughnut and was having a difficult time running around hinting that a doughnut does not add value, better yet nutrition to your kid's diet.  Don't get me wrong.  I take my kids to the local doughnut shop once in a blue moon as a treat BUT I  agree we shouldn't feed our kids sugar packed breakfasts every day (like doughnuts).  Balance is the key here.  I m not a nutritionist, dietitian, or health care professional.  Just a mom who has to be cautious of what she eats.  I am hypoglycemic and have had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies thus making me more prone to type two diabetes in the future. I am in a constant effort to keep diabetes away for good!

Ok, so like I mentioned I am not strict at healthy eating all the time.  Let's just get that thought out of the way...for example, my fave indulgence is Chick Fil A.  Once a week at least!  But that brings me to a good starting point.  You CAN eat out even fast food but make healthier choices.  Other than Chick Fil A I cannot remember the last fast food restaurant I ate at (probably good think I don't eat at fast food places...other than the cluck cluck).  I am not a big fast foody.  However, here is what you can do to make those indulgences a bit better for you.  Choose a side other than french fries.  I know, I know.  I love them too, but now that I am 29, fries don't like me back.  Choose a drink other than a soda, like a lemonade or unsweet tea...(which is my hardest thing to do...I am addicted to Chick Fil A sweet tea :/ ) If you are really feeling brave go for a different main course all together!  My FAVORITE item to order (besides the sweet tea-he he) is the Chicken Strip Salad or the Grilled Chicken Fruit Salad.  They are both so filling and full of protein and fiber.  Granted, the Chicken Strip Salad is fried chicken strips (3 of them) and the other is a Grilled Chicken Salad.  Remember, I'm not strict healthy eater.  Let's face it, we all know why we go to Chick Fil A.  For the FRIED chicken.  The silver lining is even if you get a friend chicken salad vs a grilled chicken salad you are still cutting so many carbs (no bread because of no sandwich, no potatoes because of no fries) and still getting protein and fiber.  Just beware of the salad dressing!  Ranch is my fave, but vinaigrette is a better choice.

Enough about eating out, here are some of my favorite snacks and items to pair with lunches for myself and my kids.

Raspberries        Hard Boiled Eggs      Carrots
Strawberries      Greek Yogurt             Celery (with PB or Pimiento cheese)
Bananas             Hummus                    Raw Broccoli
Apples               Peanut butter              Cherry Tomatoes
Grapes               Cheese
Raisins
Watermelon

Other For Me:
Lean Body Protein drink by Labrada (I like the chocolate ones)
Luna Protein Bars for Women
-my fave flavors are the Chocolate Peppermint Stick, Chocolate Dipped Coconut, and Lemon Zest
-from their solid protein line my faves are the Chocolate Covered Cherry and the Mint Chocolate Chip


Other for Little Ones:
Plum Baby or Happy Tot Organic Squeeze Foods
-Be carefull of the sugar content! 
-These are a great way to get more veggies and fruits into your little one easily and on the go


TIPS:
Eat Breakfast
Do Not Skip Meals
Have Lite Snacks
Eat Veggies
And WATER!  Lots and lots of water.  Not only does it keep you hydrated (obviously) its so good to curb your appetite if you drink plenty of water.  Drink when you are thirsty, not just to be full.
Exercise!  (but that's a different post)

I hope this helps and reminds you that its ok to eat junk just don't let the junk become the main course of your diet and that we can inspire and motivate eachother by sharing tips and tricks.  It's not easy to eat healthy with a personal circus in your home but it is easy to let your healt get out of control.  Like mentioned prior, this is my opining and my thoughts.  What works for me may or may not work for you.  Cheers to healthy eating one meal at a time!



No comments: