Friday, July 27, 2012

My Make-up List, as requested

-->

Ok, here goes my list. I am going to give you categories and the drugstore and high end items in each...I'll label colors/names of specific items where I can. I mostly get my drugstore items at Walgreens or Ulta because they have a good return policy and high end from Macy's, Dillards, or Sephora. I will italicize what I currently use and in the high-end add links to products. Enjoy!


Just so you have a point of reference: My skin type is normal to oil by end of day in t-zone and in winter I get dry cheeks and rest of my body gets really dry. I have fair skin and use tanning lotions but NO tanning beds and NO laying out. I am yellow under toned and I am NOT a makeup artist.

I just love makeup and have tried many things to get down to what a truly LOVE and find worth my money and repurchasing.  Some items in my lists I do not currently own but have owned at one time.  I do not own a lot of makeup, but like I said I have tried a lot through out the past several years. I think less is more when it comes to makeup wearing and owning.  One foundation, one mascara, one bronzer, etc.  Where you can "collect" or keep for longer is blush and eyeshadow.  I hope this is already helpful and you get something out of this.  I learned this stuff over time and through other people and bought these items with my own money, which I like to get the most bang for my buck!It's my pleasure sharing this with you.




My Tips
Always start with a CLEAN and MOISTURIZED face
DO NOT sleep in your makeup (at night your skin heals, repairs, and ages, be good to it, it will be good to you!)
CLEAN your makeup brushes a least once every two weeks (once a week is best, but let's get real people!)
If you are oily use a primer that is oil-free and if you are dry you can probably get away without one BUT if you are patch/flaky dry use a moisturizing primer or a good creamy moisturizer before you apply foundation.
Use an eye shadow primer-always.  I put it all the way to my brow and under my bottom lash lien to keep my eyeliner in place-it works. 
High-end isn't always better.  Blow you will see I do use a lot of high-end items BUT there are always drugstore options and some I prefer over high-end.  (example: save your $$ and buy cheek mascara and splurge on a GOOD color matched higher-end foundation or a really good bronzer- no one wants to look orange right?!)


Liquid Make-up
Drugstore:
Neutrogena Healthy Skin (my summer color is Nude, winter Classic Ivory) about $13 1oz, the con is that the color selections is LIMITED and almost too pink for my skin tone, i typically will pay more for a high-end foundation BECAUSE they are more yellow-toned (except Clinique-which is a good brand) and you can get matched exactly and try several types/brands to get your $$ worth.
Revlon Colorstay (for dry skin, my color in winter is Buff, this one is very full coverage so I wouldn't wear it in summer...really I don't wear this one at all anymore, but it is good) about $10 10z (or almost an oz)

High-end:
MAC (any liquid except their body makeup) my color is NC15 in winter and NC20 in Summer-wore MAC for YEARS and still love it, it's about $28 1oz which I don't love
NARS Sheer Glow (this is the high end version of Neutrogena Healthy Skin, which I prefer for its feel and price over NARS- BUT the NARS color selection is much better) $42 for 1oz :/ my color is Gobi in Summer or Mont Blonce
Bobbi Brown-any liquid makeup, her stuff is amazing but its about $40 an oz, yellow-tones
Origins VitaZing (not a foundation BUT its a tinted moisturizer that works wonders for me, can be a bit orage on some people, so beware, comes out white and evens out your skins tone, but not much coverage...like I said, evens you out with slight tint. I LOVE this for everyday and especially when I run/workout with a bit of concealer under my eyes and nothing else)

Concealer
Drugstore:
Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser about $10, feels good, looks good, my color is Ivory

High-end:
MAC Studio Fix (cannot remember the price) my color is NC20
Coverblend $25, but one tube lasts a YEAR or longer! My color is light
Bobbi Brown Corrector (my color is a salmon color good for covering the bluish-under eye circles) $22

Powder
No Drugstore-sorry, haven't tried one
High-end: MAC Mineralized Skin Finish Naturals in the color light $28 last about 6m

Mascara
Drugstore:
Almay One Coat $7 black
Maybelline Falsies, Full-n-soft, or really ANY Maybelline mascara is great! All about $7 back
Loreal Carbon Black Voluminous in carbon black
* I only buy drugstore Mascara (save your money here!!!!) Also, I only buy regular formula BUT if you have oliy eyelids buy Waterproof, I just hate having to get it off later :P

High-end:
(all about $30 and up, all mascaras by these are great)
YSL
Dior Show
Lancome

Eye shadow
Drugstore:
Wet-n-wild (my fave trio is Silent Treatment, but they are all very very pigmented and good) $2.99 for a trio can't beat that!
NYX $4 each, all similar to MAC

High-end:
MAC $14 each my faves are Satin Taupe, Woodwinked, Naked Lunch, Sketch, and many many more
Urban Decay Naked Palette $50-but WORTH IT! Lots of colors

Eyeliner
Pencil:
Drugstore-NYX Slide-on Glide-on (any color, but I would choose a brown) $5
High-end-Urban Decay 24/7 liner, in Demolition or Zero or Crush $19
Liquid:
Drugstore-Loreal Liner Intense in Black $10
No high-ends here
Gel:
High-end-MAC Fluid Line is Black Track or in Dip Down (which is brown) $20 I think
Bobbi Brown gel liner in brown $20 I think too
No drugstore here

Blush
I'm sure there are good drugstore blushes, I just haven't found one...But if I had to try some I'd try NYX
High-end:
NARS in Orgasm and Deep Throat (...I know, I know, NARS names are a tad risque...) $24 I think
MAC- any color $ not sure it's been a long time since I bought one, my fave is limited edition in Warm Soul, SIGGGHHHH its a beauty but LE :/ grrr...

Bronzer
Drugstore:
NYC (not NYX) in Sunny $3 (this one can be a bit off for me at times, but a VAST price difference in NARS which I'm nust about)
High-end:
NARS Laguna $35 used for over a year and LOVE it, use year round

Lipstick
Drugstore:
Revlon and Loreal (currently not using drugstore, but I like these)

High-end:
MAC $14 each my fave colors are High Tea and Viva Glam 5
YSL $30 each all colors are beautiful but a bit $$ for me, honestly MAC is the best lipstick and worth the $

Lip Gloss
Drugstore:
Loreal Lip Balm in Pink Satin $7
NYX lip glosses in Cosmo or any color $5

High-end:
NARS about $20-25 in Turkish Delight and Orgasm
My current look (in recent pictures and if you've seen me in person):
I have NOT been wearing foundation consistently, instead I've been using my origins VitaZing BUT when I do wear foundation-NARS in Gobi (this one is a tad more of my winter color) or neutrogena in Nude
Powder-MAC Mineralized Skin Finish in Light
Concealer-make-up Forever corrector palette (using the salmon color under my eyes)
Blush-NARS Deep Throat
Bronzer-NARS Laguna
Eyes- Urban Decay Primer Potion in SIN (no shadow because SIN is a bronze color), Urban Decay eyeliner in Demolition (brown) or MAC coffee (pencil), Almay One Coat in Black (mascara)
Lips- Loreal Lip Balm in Pink Satin ir MAC High Tea or good ol Burts Bees


Other
Makeup brushes- by MAC or Sigma (high-end) and Sonia Kashuk for target or elf (for drugstore) *I own Sigma brushes mostly and a few random others
makeup remover- I use neutrogena Makeup remover wipes in a blue package or Simple brand wipes

Lastly, I swear by an eye shadow primer!!!! It really makes your eye shadow stay on ALL DAY!
I use Urban Decay Primer potion ...I think I mentioned this above-so it must be important! :D



I hope this helps! Katie
PS- reply if you want a skin care list, or a post on a night our look list, or a drugstore only items look

No comments: